In the event of an active shooter:
- Attempt to evacuate the premises if there is an accessible escape path.
- Leave your belongings behind.
- Prevent individuals from entering an area where the active shooter may be.
- Follow the instructions of any police officers.
- Find a place to hide if evacuation is not possible.
- Be out of the active shooter’s view.
- Provide protection if shots are fired in your direction (i.e., an office with a closed and a locked door).
- Silence your cell phone and/or pager.
- Blockade the door with heavy furniture to prevent the active shooter from entering your hiding place.
- Keep in mind that the shooter is at large, and be vigilant.
- Monitor the media and other sources for updates from authorities.